viernes, 4 de septiembre de 2026

D.I.

D.I. emerged from Fullerton, California, in the early 1980s, built around vocalist Casey Royer after the Adolescents broke up. Royer was already deeply connected to the Southern California punk scene: he had played drums in an early version of Social Distortion before joining the Adolescents in 1980. When the Adolescents split in 1981, Royer put together D.I. with guitarist Tim Maag, bassist Fredric Taccone and drummer Derek O’Brien. Some sources date the band's formation to 1981, while the band and several music databases commonly give 1982 or 1983. 

The early D.I. lineup changed quickly. Rikk Agnew, another former Adolescents member, became involved during the band's first recordings, and the group gradually developed a sound that kept the speed and aggression of Orange County hardcore but brought in surf-rock touches, simple pop melodies and a streak of dark humor. The name was initially explained as standing for "Drug Ideology", although Royer later said the initials weren't intended to have any particular meaning. 

Their first release was the self-titled 'D.I.' EP, issued in 1983 and later reissued under the title 'Team Goon'. It contained early staples such as "Richard Hung Himself", "Venus De Milo", "Reagan Der Führer", "Purgatory" and "Guns". "Richard Hung Himself" had actually originated during Royer's time with the Adolescents and was subsequently recorded by D.I. The EP also captured the band's willingness to move beyond a strictly straight-ahead hardcore formula, with surf references and more melodic arrangements appearing alongside the frantic guitars. 

D.I. also became part of the small but growing network of Southern California punk bands appearing in films and local media. In 1983 they were featured in Penelope Spheeris' "Suburbia", performing "Richard Hung Himself" onstage. The appearance helped put the group in front of a wider audience and documented the band during its early period, when Orange County punk was beginning to attract attention outside the local scene.
 
By 1984 the lineup had expanded into a sextet featuring Royer, Tim Maag, Rikk Agnew and Alfie Agnew on guitars, Wade Watson on bass and Derek O'Brien on drums. Further changes followed, and by 1985 the lineup had settled around Royer, the Agnew brothers, bassist John "Bosco" Calabro and drummer John Knight. That version recorded 'Ancient Artifacts', D.I.'s first full-length album, and then moved on to the material that became 'Horse Bites Dog Cries'. 

The second album was recorded in 1985 at Casbah Studios in Fullerton with Chaz Ramirez, but its release was delayed until 1986; the 1985 copyright date printed on the record has caused some confusion over the actual release year. The record featured Royer, Rikk and Alfie Agnew, John Calabro and John Knight, and included tracks such as "Youth In Asia", "Hang Ten In East Berlin", "Johnny's Got a Problem", "Obnoxious", "No Moms" and "Spiritual Law".
 
'Horse Bites Dog Cries' became the band's best-known early album and the record most closely associated with D.I.'s mid-'80s period. Its fast hardcore framework was balanced by catchy songwriting, surf-influenced guitar work and Rikk Agnew's distinctive playing. "Hang Ten In East Berlin" and "Spiritual Law" had already appeared in different versions on 'Ancient Artifacts', while "Spiritual Law" later received another lease on life when Slayer covered it, along with "Richard Hung Himself", on their 1996 album 'Undisputed Attitude'. 

The period also brought more personnel changes. When the Adolescents reunited in 1986, Royer briefly returned to his former band, but he soon left again to concentrate on D.I. The Agnew brothers also moved between the two groups, making the relationship between D.I. and the Adolescents particularly fluid during this part of the decade. D.I. continued with further lineups and released 'What Good Is Grief to a God?' in 1988.
 
After the energetic run of the mid-'80s, D.I. went through quieter periods and lineup changes rather than following a straight recording schedule. 'State of Shock' appeared in 1994 after a five-year gap between studio albums, and the group temporarily broke up in 1995 before reuniting in 1997. A later run of releases included 'On the Western Front' in 2007, while Royer remained the one constant presence throughout the band's many incarnations. 
 
In 2021, D.I. issued 'Greatest Hits A-Z', a collection of newly recorded versions of songs from their back catalogue, arranged alphabetically by title. The band has also continued performing, with concert listings extending into 2026. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario